Round 2 – What’s new?
The biggest change in Round 2 would be the attempted addition of a Junior Varsity (casual) and Varsity (competitive) leagues. The JV league is designed more for teams who aren’t playing for the prizes and most likely have a lower skill level (JV does not have prizes). Varsity is for schools who wish to be more competitive and will have prizes (at least for AM, still investigating avenues for Eu prizes that don’t involve exorbitant shipping prices). We will not force teams into either league, but if you have at least one active diamond+ player we would recommend joining the varsity league to create a more competitive atmosphere there, especially considering in All-Kill it is possible for a limited number of good players to carry the team.
Other notable changes:
- Matches in both regions are now Bo5
- Reduced minimum player number in NA to 2 and recommended to 3+ (now matches Eu)
- Playoffs will remain Bo7
- Working on getting a more regular casting schedule. If you want to cast on NA or Eu times (we need Eu more) email sc2(at)hsstarleague.com with your applications
- Working on updating graphics, both for stream and for the website. Interested in helping out? Email pr(at)hsstarleague.com for graphics, or sc2(at)hsstarleague.com for other positions.
Registration closes on February 17th 2014 6:59 GMT (11:59 PST).
Round 2 begins on February 22nd.
Season 3 Format:
Two All-Kill round robins are played and the top teams from each round will advance into the season playoffs in June. Each round will span approximately one semester (8-12 weeks).
Playoff seeding at the end of the year will be acquired by making it into the top 2 teams of your division in Rounds 1 or 2. If a team occupies a spot in the top 2 for both rounds then the next highest team in that division without a playoff seed will be given the Round 2 seed. Also, depending on the number of divisions and if this total gives us an even 2^n number of teams for the playoff bracket, we may also seed teams by their composite record and map score from the two Rounds.
This is a 3 step process. You must first register as a team coordinator, verify your email, and THEN you may register for specific events.
1) Register on the website as a team coordinator.
2) After being approved and logging in, you can register for specific events, such as the Season 3 Spring 2014 round.
FAQ: The TL;DR Edition
- Entry is FREE
- There are prizes (maybe not for Eu due to international shipping costs and the fact that it is only our first season there. We’ll keep working towards that in the future though!)
- All players should be from the same school. Exceptions can sometimes be made on a case by case basis. To see if you qualify for one, please email sc2(at)hsstarleague.com with details of your situation.
- Alumni can NOT play. If you’ve already graduated High School, please move on and go play in Collegiate Starleague, but thanks for the interest. <3
Full FAQ can be found here.
- Players must be currently enrolled in High School.
- Teams must have at least two players for Round 2. Three or more is recommended though for substitutes in case some are unavailable to play.
- Teams can only* consist of players within one school.
*Note: If you do not have enough players at your school, please email sc2(at)hsstarleague.com with your school info and how many players you have so that we can potentially arrange to pair you with any nearby teams or free agents that we are aware of. This should serve as a last resort after having done all steps conveyed here in order to attempt to bolster your team’s numbers.
Teams will be grouped with other teams in the same region. Divisions will be posted shortly after the registration period has elapsed is complete.
Round 2 Format
Round 2 will be played in an All-Kill Best of 5 format. First maps are set each week, losing team sends a new player in and the winning team does not change players until that player loses. The losing team also chooses the next map from the map pool and there are no map repeats allowed. Round 2 will also be played as a Round Robin. Teams should have the opportunity to play all the teams in their division before the conclusion of the round.
Full rules can be found below or here. It is expected of all team coordinators to thoroughly know the rules. If you have any questions regarding the rules or would like clarification, please email sc2(at)hsstarleague.com or contact a tournament admin through other means.